Wednesday 13 May 2015

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson


***The following synopsis and summary contain spoilers for Steelheart.***

Firefight picks up not too long after Steelheart, a high Epic, was killed at David's hand. Now Newcago is free from Steelheart's wrath. But David isn't completely satisfied. He still has questions about Epics and their powers that have yet to be answered. Plus he is determined to find another Epic, Firefight, who he is certain is different form other Epics.

So when David gets the chance to go to Babylon (a city that was once part of New York), where he might be able to get his answers, and where Firefight is rumoured to be, he's all for it. David and two other Reckoners, Prof and Tia, head off to Babylon in search of the High Epic that rules there. But David's eyes are still peeled for Firefight, and any answers to his questions, even though he's there on the Reckoners' terms, not his own.

Rate: 4 stars

In the second instalment of The Reckoners trilogy, we are introduced to new Reckoners, a new setting and new Epics. The new characters were great, although I would have liked to see more of Cody and Abraham. We also got just as much action as we did in Steelheart. Overall it was a strong second book. And like the last book, it left me wanting the next book. But this time it was due to a cliffhanger-y ending.

SPOILERS AHEAD.

As I said above, I liked the new characters that were introduced in this book. We had mysterious Epics like Regalia, Obliteration, Calamity and Dawnslight. They added an intriguing factor to the book since David and the Reckoners were trying to figure out how their powers work, their weakness, and what they were going to do next. It was interesting to find out that the weaknesses of the Epics had something to do with their fears and their pasts. And I wonder how Epics actually became Epics. I know it has something to do with Calamity (I was surprised to find out that Calamity was actually an Epic), but how did Calamity cause superpowers? Hopefully this will be cleared up in the next book.

The other new characters we were introduced to, the Reckoners in Babylon, were not quite as mysterious, but still a great addition to the story. There was Val, who we didn't get to see too much of, and Exel, who was unique, to say the least, as well as Mizzy, my personal favourite new character due to her spunk.

I thought the story really picked up when Megan was thrown into the story for good. She's probably my favourite character, and I was really missing her in the beginning of the story when she was absent (plus I was happy when the ship finally sailed). I really wish that Prof would have brought her back on the team, she gave an insight on Epics that Prof couldn't manage to do. We really got to know more about what the powers the Epics have do to them. Prof always shut away when he used his, and never explained what they were like.

Now speaking of Prof, his powers kind of took over in the end. I thought he might have been more forgiving and understanding when he found out that David and Megan were in touch. I thought he had a better control over them. But I guess not, as he ended up killing Val and Exel. I wasn't super sad about their deaths though, they weren't a super big part of the story, and I never got attached to them.

Anyways, I did enjoy this book and can't wait for the next one, Calamity, when it is released in the spring of 2016. Hopefully all the questions I had about the Epics will be answered. And hopefully we get just as much action as Steelheart and Firefight.

No comments:

Post a Comment